Friday, November 8, 2013

Day 8 - Chapter 7

I'll start on Monday. Friday is the worst time to start a new eating plan anyway with the weekend ahead. There's this baby shower tomorrow and a pot luck on Sunday and dinner with the Vienersweets Sunday night. So, yes, I'll just wait until Monday when the week is fresh.

Monday comes and someone brings fresh homemade banana nut bread to work. Tuesday is Mexican day and everyone wants you to join them for lunch. Wednesday morning as you're packing your lunch for work, you see the leftover Lasagna from the prior weekend in the frig. Rather than wasting it (since you're a frugal person) you decide to have it for lunch. Thursday your husband or boyfriend wants to take you to Longhorn for dinner. You could get the shrimp and vegetables. But you'd rather have a steak and baked potato. Then you remember that Friday night is girls' night out. Oh, what the heck, I'll just start on Monday. Again.

The cycle goes on. I've soooo done this. Monday never comes.

I've also started many diets on Mondays. I eventually would use up all my willpower though and the little progress I made ended in defeat when my food choices hadn't become permanent ones. I always told myself if I could just get down to a certain number on the scale I was sure I could keep it there. I am obviously not able to do that.

In Chapter 7 Lysa talks about our worth and identity in Christ. The numbers on the scales do not define our worth. It's only a number that indicates our body weight. Period. Then why do I feel so irritable if I weigh myself and the numbers don't budge or the only direction they go in is up. Or why do I feel elated when the numbers drop? This is an area I need to work in. So, as I said the other day, I'm not weighing myself.

I want a more intimate connection with the Lord before I try to make this about numbers. If this is going to be a permanent change for me, the scale has to go bye-bye for now.

What about you? Let me hear from you about how you're doing. terrijwebster@gmail.com.

No longer defined by numbers,
Terri



No comments:

Post a Comment