Sunday, November 17, 2013

Day 17-Chapter 16 "Why Diets Don't Work"

There are more diets than days in a year. I've tried many different ones. So far not one of them has worked for me.  When the diet ends I go back to my old habits, thinking I won't gain back the weight I lost on the all-promising diet. Y'all, diets are NOT our friend, not if you struggle with food addiction.

I used to be cynical of that term "food addiction." I just want to clarify briefly what it means. According to WebMD.com, for some people, the same reward and pleasure centers in the brain that are triggered by addictive drugs like cocaine and heroine, are activated by certain foods, especially palatable foods containing sugar, fats and salt. When some people eat these foods, they can't eat just one serving or portion. Trying to exercise all the willpower and discipline in the world doesn't work. You can't stop. Food becomes like a drug. That's why diets don't work.

I've also heard that all the chemicals, additives and preservatives that are in our processed, convenient foods are addictive. In America we eat more of this type of food than in any other country. And it seems that sugar is in everything. Just read the label. I'm becoming a believer that sugar is also addictive. Why aren't other countries dealing with obesity, heart disease and cancer like America? I'm not claiming to know all the facts, but it's looking more and more to me like this is the case.

That's why this journey for me is a spiritual one. Kind of like it is for someone who stops drinking alcohol or doing other drugs is for them and God becomes their strength and Higher Power, through a personal relationship with Jesus.

Here is what Lysa has to say in Chapter 16 what this is for her and I LOVE it! "Entering into company with my Savior is indeed what I must do for this healthy-eating, spiritual journey to be successful and long-lasting. It's the component that all previous diets I've tried were missing."

It's thrilling to me the reality that I'll never have to go on another diet ever again!

Free at last,
Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment