Friday, November 15, 2013

Day 15-Chapter 14 Emotional Emptiness

All my life, as far back as I can remember, I've wanted to be thin. I always thought the thin girls were happier, healthier and had way more fun than me. Being thin like them was a far-fetched dream for me, unobtainable, impossible. I would think to myself, "one day...one day, I'll be thin like them." That day still hasn't come. I wanted it for ALL the wrong reasons.

We are all different sizes and shapes, and I know some women see me and think I'm not overweight at all. I think we all have this vision in our minds of what our idea weight should be. I googled "ideal weight" and the results are I should weigh somewhere in between 104-141.

I haven't weighed myself since starting this challenge and won't until the end of the 21 days. But two weeks ago I was more than 20 pounds over the HIGH end of this scale. In order to lower my risks of cancer, heart disease, diabetes and other serious health issues, I need to get down to at least 141.

In America we keep raising our weight standards and have forgotten what a healthy weight looks like. We've become desensitized to obesity. According to the American Institute for Cancer Research, my body mass index is 28.7 for my age, height and weight. That's only 1.3 under the 3.0 that would make me obese. For my height and age, my normal range is between 18.5 and 24.9. That's the eye-opening reality.

The other reality is I can't get there and stay there by simply changing my diet or going on a diet that I'd eventually come off of. I'll never be the healthiest I can be apart from God's power working in me to accomplish this. Will I ever get there? I don't know. What I do know is there are a lot of promises from God's Word that assure me of the heart and mind change necessary to get me there.

Lysa shared a precious story from Chapter 14, Emotional Emptiness, that touched me deeply. Her emotional emptiness started at a very young age. Mine did too. Can you trace back to when your emotional emptiness began? That's quite possibly where you learned to turn to food to feed your emotions, which still hasn't filled your emotions, has it? Me either. Only God can do that. He wants to do that for you and for me.

I think a great place to start is Psalm 107:9 "For He satisfies the thirsty and fills the hungry with good things."

Satisfied and full,
Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment