Sunday, November 3, 2013

Day 3-Chapter 2

Hi comrades. So how's it going so far?

Do y'all remember the other day when I shared about how I fell into defeat that night we had the leadership meeting and bonfire at our house? Along with the cookies, brownies and banana pudding, a big 2-liter bottle of Diet Coke was left in my kitchen. My resolve to never drink that stuff again had turned into my "just occasionally" rationalization.

The next day, which was last Sunday, that afternoon, the 2-liter bottle started calling my name. The caffeine, and yes, the taste, although some people would spew it out saying it's awful, was tempting me. You know, my white cloud of promises that turns into the green monster. I'd remembered reading in Lysa's book how I'm made for more. Her email today talks about being made for more. Chapter 2 talks about tackling our tower of impossibilities (cravings) one brick at a time.

This was the first time I'd ever spoken to Diet Coke, but I stared at it and said, "I am made for more than your poison and my body is worth more than what you offer me." Since that moment, seriously, and I'm not kidding, the temptation was gone. That 2-liter bottle went bye-bye as my husband either poured it out or gave it to someone else.

Yesterday I tried to focus on listening to my cravings and distinguishing between them. Today I'm going to try to focus on just me and my issue, rather than judging and thinking others around me who eat unhealthy foods need to join me on this journey. I've allowed sinful, destructive thoughts about what others need to do to take my focus off my own problem and be consumed by theirs. There, I said it.

One more thing from Chapter 2 that's pivotal is when those cravings come banging on our doors, to use them as a prompt to pray. The more intense the craving, the more intense the prayer. Are y'all with me? Let's pray for each other when those cravings come too. Don't we know how much more power prayer holds than any craving we can have?

I really do want to see y'all face to face at some point. What are your thoughts?

Your fellow FIG comrade,
Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment