Sunday, May 12, 2013

To All Single Moms

Happy Mother’s Day! I hope your day is full of pleasant, simple things. I hope it is less stressful than what I’m sure the rest of your days can be. Being a single mom is the toughest job ever. I know, because I walked that road too. My kids are grown. The physical part of raising them is over. I remember being told when they were younger that it gets harder when they’re grown. I thought, how could it be harder when they're grown? I didn’t truly understand what they meant until now.

I’m no longer responsible for the day-to-day care and responsibilities of raising them. What I have to do now is release them to the care and control of God. The concern and worry is different. For me personally, I now have heartache and sorrow due to lost hopes and dreams that are sometimes too much to bear. I also have deep joy and gratitude for God's grace and blessings as I trust my grown children to Him.

My children are now 32 and 26. My 32-year old son is in a men’s home somewhere, I don’t even know where. My 26-year old daughter lives close by and is married. She has worked very hard overcoming obstacles to complete her teaching degree. Now that she's grown and married, our changing relationship is fun and exciting. I'm very proud of her and excited for what the future holds for us. My mother is in a nursing home. My relationship with her has become quite difficult and sad as her health has declined over the past few years.

To be honest, Mother's Day is a very bittersweet day for me with tons of mixed emotions. It was easier when my children were little and they brought me burnt toast and runny eggs for breakfast in bed, the best present ever! I'm so thankful to be able to give my emotions to Jesus and not become overtaken by them. He always provides the comfort I need on days like today.

What about you? Will your day full of good things as you spend time with your children and maybe your own mother? Or will it be bittersweet for you too? Whichever it is, there is one thing I know for sure: the Lord is with us in whatever place we’re in. He has been with me through all my single mom experiences and is with me today as I strive to turn the care and well being of my kids over to Him. I am learning that however deep the pain or scars, there is nothing beyond His deepest, healing touch.

He knows when your heart hurts and when your heart is joyful and is right there in it with you. So, however your Mother’s Day turns out to be, let’s just focus on that truth. That’s what I’m going to do. There is no comfort any greater than what can be found in Him.

To all you single moms out there, today I pray our Father pours out on you, His richest blessings that only come from Him. Come talk to me at the watering well.

In His grip,
Terri

No comments:

Post a Comment