Friday, May 17, 2013

Something about the Daisy

Sometimes God has a way of getting my attention that I know without a doubt it’s Him. This morning it was finding a single wild daisy during my rush to leave for work. Every morning it’s the same scenario; rushing out the door because I’ve spent too much time journaling again and I’m late.

We have a drive gate at the end of our driveway where you have to stop the car, get out and open the gate, get back in the car, drive through, then get out again and close the gate before leaving. As I leaned into the driver’s side after closing the gate, I saw the daisy alone in the mix of tall grass and weeds. I looked further down the weed-lined driveway and saw a cluster of more wild daisies and wondered why this one was alone in the weeds. God used this simple, insignificant wildflower to grab my attention in response to my journaling that morning. When I bent down to pick the wildflower, I felt His familiar tug as He spoke to my heart.

My journaling that morning was mostly whining to God about my struggle over the lack of time I have to follow my passion and dream of writing full time and building the non-profit, single-parent ministry I have on the side. I want it to be the other way around; writing and single-parent ministry full time, with a part-time job on the side.

While I believe God is moving me in that direction, I’ve complained about the lack of time I have to invest in a writing career and in the time it takes to raise funds and build a ministry. I feel stuck while waiting for the perfect circumstances that I now know will never be. God has been showing me that I need to do at least one thing each day, no matter how small, to move me in that direction and get unstuck. Each small step will eventually get me where I need to be so I can be released, but it’s not going to happen if I sit back waiting for the “right time”.

My job is not at all fulfilling and requires long, ten-hour days, four days a week. While I’m very thankful, I feel like a caged tiger looking out at all the things I was created to chase after. When I get home every night, I’m too tired to do anything but eat, shower and go to bed. God used the lone, wildflower to assure me that He heard my heart that morning, has noticed the small steps I’ve taken towards my dream, and is working to move me in that direction. The daisy represented “freedom” to me and God’s way of letting me know I’m headed in the right direction. As a new writer, getting ready to self-publish my first book, I took this now meaningful daisy to work with me as a reminder and encouragement.

What about you? Is there something God has given you a passion for that you feel you have no time to do? You may wonder why He’s given you this dream, vision or desire if you have no time to pursue it. Share how you may be dealing with the same issue.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment